April 2023



Regular Meeting of the Vestry

April 2023

Present:  Bob Blanton (Priest in Charge) Ross Turner (Senior Warden), Austine Onyia (Jr. Warden), Tommy Mills (Treasurer), Beth Braley, John Lanford, Bob White, Jennifer Duncan, Isabel Mills, and Dianne Martin (Clerk) 

Call to Order:  Ross called the meeting to order and led the opening prayer at 6:35 P.M.  

Approval of Minutes from Last Vestry Meeting:  John made a motion to accept the March meeting minutes.  Beth seconded the motion. The motion passed.   

Treasurer Report 

Tommy led the discussion of the Treasurer Report.  We had $9,528.25 in expenditures and $19,933.50 in revenue in March resulting in our reserve going to 3.07 months.  Much of the revenue for March came from a very generous gift from a donor.

Jr. Warden Report

Austin began the discussion of the Jr. Warden Report.  We had 3 trees come down on the property.  Two of the trees have been taken care of, one for $1,000 and the other for $1,600.  We have not yet received an estimate for the third tree because it has been too wet to determine the estimate.  Ross mentioned that we might want to check to see if our insurance would pay anything for taking care of the trees.  Bob White brought up the fact that we should check the roof since Clinton did have hail damage.  

Dianne mentioned that one of the handrails on the stairs going into the church has fallen over and that she is concerned that we make sure the other handrails are safe to use.  Pastor Bob will talk with Doug George about the possibility of welding the handrail back.


Old Business

Storage Room Empty-Out and Insulation Schedule

The plan is that Beth and Pastor Bob will meet together with Goodwill and/or the 4 C’s to have them come and decide what they want and, hopefully, remove all items still remaining in the storage room.  After all items are removed, we will address the need to fix the fallen insulation. 

Safe Harbor Status

We had planned to get a standard form or agreement from the diocese to help us in producing a proposed formal rental agreement for Safe Harbor.  The diocese does not have one but wants us to submit the agreement we come up with to Canon Ponder before presenting it to Safe Harbor.  Pastor Bob will check with St. James and St. Phillips to see if they have one we could use as a starting point.  Dianne noted that she had seen some information on leasing space to another church and she will send the links for this information to vestry members.

New Business

Bid to make Electrical Improvements

As we discussed at the last meeting, it is very dark at night for anyone trying to enter or leave the church.  This poses a safety concern.  We discussed the need for additional lighting around the front and sides of the church and the need for a timer for the lights.  Beth said fixing the lighting situation will help us on our insurance cost.  Jennifer made a motion to authorize the expenditure of $5,315.76 on a contract for fixing the lighting, Ross seconded the motion, and the motion passed.


The next Vestry Meeting will be held May 15, 2023, at 6:30 PM.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:12 P.M.


Dianne Martin Ross Turner

Clerk of the Vestry Senior Warden



Ross Turner

Senior Warden


Dianne Martin

Clerk of the Vestry